Monday, September 8, 2008

Fuel Needs to Use Premium

UPDATE - Maybe someone from Fuel reads the VNOB? I visited again on Friday - got a table outside, prompt service, quality food - and bonus, it all arrived at the same time. I'll be going back again. 

Ok, I'll confess - this isn't going to be a totally objective opinion of Fuel because I live in the Elliotborough/Cannonborough and desperately want Fuel to succeed. But at the same time, I want to this to be a constructive message to the owners that they need to get their act together if they want to succeed. 

I have both dined and enjoyed many adult beverages at the establishment (which has an awesome outdoor patio) on several occasions and have both brought and recommended the place to several friends, but the experiences always have commmon thems: ok food (with the definate exception of the BBQ Buffalo Burger, the fish tacos and sweet potatoe french fries - which are orgasmic), slow service, and long waits for both food and drink. (I know, the last two are the same, but you get the point...). 

My latest visit was this past Saturday with a group of seven people. My girlfriend and I arrived about 15 minutes before the rest of the party and no one came out to even ask if we wanted a drink. Seriously, that has got to be the cardinal rule of the restaurant industry - you can be late seating me, you can take your sweet time bringing me food, but don't mess with my drink - especially not the first one when I am sober, thirsty and hot as hades! I am all for keeping things simple... just keep me buzzed and we'll get along just fine! 

Anyways, it then took at least 1 hour to bring us our food, and when they did bring it, they brought it in two separate waves - 4 people in the first wave and 3 people in the second. Ok, pardon me for ringing the sarcasm bell, but why do people go out to eat with friends? I'll give you a hint, it is not to watch them eat...

Then the icing on the cake. I asked the hostess to speak to the owner (because there is no sense in ever berrating the hostess or server when they clearly are at the mercy of the kitchen). However, this young lady made me feel my request was unreasonable. How hard is it to just say "Yes sir - I will go and get him for you." She insisted on discussing whether my situation warranted the attention of the owner. Huh? 

Well, I prevailed and the owner did come out, listened to our concerns, and asked what he could do to improve the situation. Snaps to him - he tried to make things right to the best of his ability, which I will give him credit for. But he did mention that that it was a busy night... Ok, I am no restaurant owner nor have I have ever worked in a restaurant (with the exception of that 1.5 year stint at the local McDonalds - that's another blog in itself), but we were able to score a reservation for 7 people outside at a downtown restaurant on a Saturday night (I thought we were lucky, but maybe the wisdom of the crowd as at work?) There were also several tables open when we arrived. So maybe the kitchen was understaffed or something, but it certainly didn't look like it was an overly busy night (especially compared with other nights). 

So, owners of Fuel, please fix your restaurant and refocus your team's effort on customer service. You guys have an awesome location with a great target demographic (and you know what they say about location), you are across the street from two of Charleston's other restaurant gems - Lana and Hominy Grill and a future pizza joint, you have a great theme (an old gas station converted into a restaurant called Fuel - are you kidding me?) , you did a phenomenal job renovating - the patio is awesome (did I mention that already?), the garage doors on the front that open remind me of swanky restaurants on St. Laurent in Montreal, and you have a neighborhood association rooting for you 110%. Don't let this opportunity pass when you are so close to perfection.

1 comment:

razorjacket said...
This comment has been removed by the author.